A blog dedicated to providing quotes by and posts relating to one of the most influential (and quotable!) authors of the twentieth century, G.K. Chesterton (1874-1936). If you do not know much about GKC, I suggest visiting the webpage of the American Chesterton Society as well as this wonderful Chesterton Facebook Page by a fellow Chestertonian

I also have created a list detailing examples of the influence of Chesterton if you are interested, that I work on from time to time.

(Moreover, for a list of short GKC quotes, I have created one here, citing the sources)

"...Stevenson had found that the secret of life lies in laughter and humility."

-Heretics (1905)
_____________________



Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Theodore Roosevelt and GKC (again)

In England Mr. Roosevelt was particularly glad to make or renew the acquaintance of Mr. Balfour, Mr. Kipling, Lord Roberts, Lord Kitchener, Sir Harry Johnston, and Captain Scott. Long and delightful were the hours spent in retreat at "Chequers Court," Mr. Arthur Lee's country house, in conversation with thinking and doing men like these. He passed an especially happy day with Sir Edward Grey on a long tramp through the New Forest. It was noted that he had no time for expatriated American men, or American women married to English titles. Mr. Roosevelt and Mr. Bernard Shaw did not meet. I wish I were free to give the Colonel's opinion of the Englishman; it may be said, however, that it fully reciprocates the dramatist's scorn and pity. Curiously enough, however, Mr. Roosevelt desired to meet Mr. Gilbert Chesterton.

-The World's Work, Volume XX, May to October 1910

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi, Mike - I, too, am originally from Illinois, though from northern counties such as DuPage, Cook, and DeKalb. After a career in Illinois GOP politics, I moved to the south, specifically to Sewanee, TN, where my wife and I had met as undergraduates 30 years ago. We have just moved to the San Diego region, though my work has me in Medora, ND for the summer. I am an actor and historian who brings Theodore Roosevelt to life in portrayals and theatre shows across the country. A dear friend here in ND mentioned tonight that he was headed back to his native England to scatter the ashes of his late brother and sister in the New Forest. Yours was the first web hit that seemed relevant. Always glad for another reference to GK Chesterton. Whose work is quoted here? All the best. TR Joe (www.teddyrooseveltshow.com)

Mike said...

Hi Joe,

Thanks for your comment...Glad to "meet" you. :-)

Apparently the author of the article I quoted from was a William Bayard Hale.

FWIW, here is where I got the reference:

"The Colonel and John Bull"

Mike said...

http://books.google.com/books?id=YDlYAAAAYAAJ&dq=%22In%20England%2C%20Mr.%20Roosevelt%20was%20particularly%20glad%22&pg=PA13326#v=onepage&q&f=false